Sunday, July 11

Here Comes The First 5K!

I've signed up to do my first 5K next Saturday (what was I thinking?) so this week, instead of C25K, I'm working on "running" three miles.

This is the planned training: 5 minute warm-up; 10 minute run; 4 minute walk; 10 minute run; 4 minute walk; 10 minute run; 4 minute walk; 4 minute run for a total of 46 minutes. I'm trying 10 minute runs because last week I modified C25K and was able to do two 9.5 runs.

Day 1 - July 11
5 minute warm-up. 10 minute run (Omg I'm dying); 4 minute walk. The next 10 minute run looked like this: run 2, walk 4, run 2, walk 4. (My legs were really burning.) Then a 4 minute walk. Next a 10 minute run that went like this: run 2, walk 5, run 3. (My legs were aching so bad they almost felt numb. And I was so hot!) Then a 4 minute walk. The last 4 minute run I did half walk, half run.

3 miles. 46 minutes.

A LOT more walking than I had planned and I think I can name the usual suspects - not enough H20 the day before and not enough sleep. Plus I ran later in the day than normal, and the sun was blazing (but that's what it's going to like on race day). BUT my time was what I was aiming for so I'm happy.

And I sprinted the last 2 or 3 minutes. When I crossed over my imaginary "finish line" I let out a war whoop! I'm a runner, dude. How crazy is that?

Day 2 - July 13
Much much better than Sunday! I hit a couple "I can't do this!" walls but physically the whole thing was freakin' awesome.

5 minute warm-up walk. 10 minute run (Omg I'm dying); 4 minute walk. 10 minute run (This is the longest 10 minutes of my entire life); 5.5 minute walk. (Come ON; quit walking!). 8.5 minute run (Oh! Wow! I'm almost done! And I feel pretty darn fantastic! And that sunrise is glorious.); 4 minute walk. 4 minute run (Pick up that pace and show some triumph, girl! Wait, there's my 3 mile marker and the playlist is still going. Did I actually cut some time from the run?)

3 miles. Just about 43 minutes. (I improved by 3 minutes? Really?)

I'm a little worried that I only have one more practice before the REAL THING but I'm at least confident that I will at the very least survive my first 5K.

Day 3 - July 15

I ran the race route today. Don't even ask me how difficult it was to convince myself to run through town where people could see me! I knew I had to break that mental barrier before Saturday.

Definitely the best run yet this week. I never had one of those "Can I please stop running now?" moments. In fact, on the second 10-minute run I hit that sweet spot and felt like I could go forever.

This is what today looked like: 5 minute warm-up. 10 minute run. 4 minute walk. 10 minute run. 4 minute walk. 14.5 minute run. (Yeah, baby, FOURTEEN AND A HALF MINUTES at the END OF THE RUN!!!)

And you know what else? I ran a full mile!

3 miles. 42.5 minutes.

NEXT RUN? THE 5K! HERE WE GO!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! -mortonpixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) First 5k! Yay! I bet you'll be awesome! My first is on the July 24th. Eeeeek. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

To read recent posts, scroll down.

To read other posts, clink on the links

by date under "Archives" or by topic under "Labels"

Also make sure to check the pages up there at the top

for more info about me and my program.


Please say hi, and come back soon.

________________________________________________________________


With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.

(Thomas Foxwell Buxton)