I've pretty much figured out what my body needs on run days. Snack before run, snack after run, and then about one hour later a smallish breakfast. About four hours after breakfast, my blood sugar starts slipping rather quickly and I need food again.
So why did I ignore this today? :/
I did the two snacks and the breakfast. Four hours later, I was getting ready to go to a baby shower and I felt those familiar signals that my blood sugar was slipping. I figured I'd just eat at the baby shower...not knowing that the menu was lasagna, bread sticks, salad, and desserts. Fortunately there was also deviled eggs and raw veggies, so I had a little something, but it wasn't enough. (I probably should have said, "Damn propriety" and had the 8 or 10 eggs that I really needed!)
Two hours later, by the time the shower was over, I had the shakes, the "fuzzies," and the beginnings of a headache. I was crashing fast and hard, so I went through the drive-through at BK. I only got what I needed - a couple cheeseburgers (no bun) for the protein, and ate a peach when I got home. But it was a lot of calories, fat, and sodium (and misery) that could have been avoided.
Lesson learned. Listen to my body and be prepared.
This article says almost exactly the same thing as what I figured out is the best food plan when exercising. Interesting. :)
9 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment