Monday, August 23

After C25K: Hal Higdon's 5K Training Program

I've looked at many different running programs trying to decide what to do after C25K. I like the structure of a program so I know how I should be progressing. Hal Higdon's program seems to be the best next step, and someone I know who ran the Boston Marathon recommended his programs.

Hal Higdon's 5K Training Program - Intermediate

W1 (August 23)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 5X400; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 3 mile run; Sun 5 mile run

W2 (August 30)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 30 min tempo run; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 3 mile run; Sun 5 mile run

W3 (September 6)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 6X400; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 4 mile run; Sun 6 mile run

W4 (September 13)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 35 min tempo run; Thurs 3 m run; Sun RACE DAY
(Sept 19 - Race with Grace 5K)

W5 (September 20)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 7X400; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 4 mile run; Sun 6 mile run

W6 (September 27)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 40 min tempo run; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 4 mile run; Sun 7 mile run

W7 X2 (October 4, October 11)
Tues 3 mile run; Wed 8X400; Thurs 3 mile run; Sat 5 mile run; Sun 7 mile run

W8 (October 18)
Tues 2 mile run; Wed 30 min tempo run; Thurs 2 mile run
Sun RACE DAY (Oct 24 - Inland Trail 5K)

2 comments:

  1. Do you want to improve your speed or work up to a 10k? If you don't mind spending the money, maybe look at local running stores and see if they offer training programs. I've recetly enrolled in one that focues on brining you from a 5K to a 10K. It's great so far! I get weekly workouts in the mail, and we meet once a week to go over stuff like stretching proper breathing, and that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you're right. :) I discovered this week that this is the wrong program for me and am switching to something different. You can read about it in this post: http://rochester-freetobeme.blogspot.com/2010/08/not-ready.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

To read recent posts, scroll down.

To read other posts, clink on the links

by date under "Archives" or by topic under "Labels"

Also make sure to check the pages up there at the top

for more info about me and my program.


Please say hi, and come back soon.

________________________________________________________________


With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.

(Thomas Foxwell Buxton)